Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

A Fail for Pitpass

Was just looking at the article that Pitpass have on the idea (again) of using Gas Turbine engines for F1 cars. Whilst the passage of time and availability of newer technologies make this idea more practicle than before, one wonders how the fans will react to the noise, or rather the absence of the noise that drives them wild.

But that wasn't what caused my dismay at reading the article. No, it was the comparison between Gas Turbines and Internal Combustion engines. What they should have used to compare the two would have been the terms 'Gas Turbine' and 'Reciprocating' engines. You see, both of these are internal combustion engines. In fact, both are 4 cycle engines in that they have separate intake, compression, ignition/power, and exhaust cycles. The Gas turbine has all four cycles hapenning simultaneously, whereas the reciprocating engine has the cycles hapenning sequentially.

An internal combustion engine is one where the combustion process happens internally (der!), but an external combustion engine has the combustion hapenning...........guess where? An example of an external combustion engine is a steam engine. Get it now?

That's a pretty big miss on a website that reports on the top of the techno tree. All right, they are the best around, but it's still fun to pick up on errors.

Hell, what if they called the thing a motor? As everyone knows the generally accepted definition of a motor is a power device that receives its energy from an external source (like electricity), whereas an engine derives its energy from the conversion of a fuel from an inert state, to an active state (like burning stuff - or smashing uranium atoms around).

I just know that you all needed to know this.

Comments

• "Hell, what if they called the thing a motor? As everyone knows the generally accepted definition of a motor is a power device that receives its energy from an external source (like electricity)"

Well - the world should stop calling them MOTOR Cars then, and call then ENGINE cars...

and MOTOR magazine should be called ENGINE magazine...

...and the song "Born to be Wild" should change their lyrics to
    "Get your ENGINE running Head out on the highway"

...and someone with a MOTOR mouth will be called an ENGINE mouth...

...and a MOTORWAY should be called an ENGINE way...

Shall I go on????

(tongue in cheek Leese)
  • Castrati! (well, you got better)
  • Lease - leave your personal amputations to yourself please ;)

Thanks for the history lesson

and on the subject on F1 websites, ESPNfi.com website heading is "Only Glock to have revamped Virgin"
    How is that possible?

[Edited on 3-5-2010 by PistonBroke]
  • Nurse.......